Look at some of the most important factores to be aware of, but remember these are only a guide.
It is still possible to have osteoporosis with few if any risk factors. This is why DXA scans are so important.
- I am a post-menopausal woman.
- I have a small, thin frame.
- I am a female.
- I am or was a smoker.
- I do not regularly participate in bone-building exercises like walking, dance aerobics, weight training, or jogging.
- I am a moderate to heavy drinker (more than one drink a day on average for women; more than two for men).
- I have or have had an eating disorder such as bulimia or anorexia.
- As a child, I ate very few high-calcium foods.
- My diet is low in calcium rich foods such as milk, cheese, and yogurt.
- A parent, grandparent, or sibling of mine had or has osteoporosis.
- I went through menopause before age 50.
- I have been through menopause and am not taking hormones.
- I am taking or have taken steroid (like Prednisone), antiseizure medications (like Epilim), or excessive amounts of thyroid medication (like Eltroxin).